This simple drill gives and keeps on giving. With no gloves, your outfielders are challenged to make an easy play by taking an efficient route, catching the ball overhead, and seeing the ball into the hand. Check out how it's done.
Barehanded Outfielding Drill
Here are a few reasons why this drill works:
- Although it's an easy ball to catch, the challenge lies in catching the ball barehanded which forces extra focus
- The shortness of the ball's hangtime requires good routes
- Generally, it's good to practice catching the ball above the head, so as to never breaking eye-contact with the ball
- The dropstep, enables the outfielder to make a quicker jump on the ball, cutting the distance to his target. A good dropstep ensures a better angle on the ball.
- Notice how the starting point requires the outfielder to make the dropstep without even thinking about it.
Have some great outfielding drills you'd like to share? We'd love to see them! Hashtag #FungoMan so we can see and share your creative baseball drills! Below you'll find more fantastic drills by Coach Mark Gallion and his team at Gamers Academy